Walking is good for both health and the environment.
Here are a few ideas upon what might be done to encourage
people to use their feet.
– Install Pedestrian Shelters at all traffic lights.
The is nothing worst that just waiting & waiting in the rain
for the lights to change in order that one might walk
across the road.
– Make all Traffic Lights work with a Pedestrian
Preference, and timed so that one came reach the
diagonally opposite part of the road junction.
– Larger and more luggage racks on all buses.
This would encourage more people to go shopping via the
– No VAT or Purchase tax upon Backpacks, Walking Shoes or
– A crackdown upon all those who cause obstructions upon
the pavements, or who pavement park.
This is something which the UK Pedestrian Association has
been campaigning upon for many a year.
For more ideas upon how walking may be improved: –
See the website for
The International Federation of Pedestrians (IFP)